Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Unnecessary "Pop" Remix

While remixes are nothing new, I feel there's an unsavory trend in the music business when the label tries to "cross-over" a country star to the pop radio stations. Shania Twain was shameless in this, releasing entire albums full of pop remixes, not that her music sounds all that country to begin with. But recently I've heard a few of these country hits remixed for "normal" audience and I just don't see the point.

Two examples would be TimMcGraw's "Live Like Your Were Dying" and The Wreckers' "Leave the Pieces." In the first case, there is no amount of background music that is going to make McGraw NOT sound country. His wife might be able to pull that off, but there is no hiding his Southern vocals. Plus, "Live Like You Were Dying" is not a song that musically sounds all that country to begin with.

No. 2 would be The Wreckers first single, "Leave The Pieces" off their debut Stand Still, Look Pretty. Again, this is not all that country-sounding (unlike their second single "My, Oh My"). So, I was somewhat horrified to hear this jangly pop remix on Boston's Mix 98.5. It sounds totally unconnected from the vocal tracks and I think would be less appealing to a pop crowd than the original.

I know Nashville is more of a hit factory than a land of artistic freedom, but to me these remixes undercut the power of any song and its original vision. I'm pretty sure a mainstream audience can handle the hint of a steel pedal guitar in the background. I have NO problem with pop covering country and "country covering pop, but you shouldn't cover yourself.

No comments: