Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Top 5 Reasons to Root for the Bears on Sunday

Like most people outside of the Midwest, I have no natural rooting inclinations for a game between two cities I have zero connection with. However, there is absolutely no question that I will be on the edge of my seat every time Rex Grossman drops back to pass. That's because I don't want the Bears to lose, because that means Indy wins, which is bad because:

1. Peyton Manning should never win the Super Bowl. I mean EVER. I am so tired about how he's due, or he deserves it. You should never expect to get a title, you have to earn it. And for someone who has had plenty of chances, he's never been able to capitalize. So, in my book, he's an underachiever when it really counts, and having a ring might let him off the hook, which would be a shame because...

2. Peyton Manning is the most over-commercialized athlete since Michael Jordan. I don't know how he finds time to "study so much film" when he's so busy being captured on it pimping various products and services in completely unoriginal ways.

3. Tony Dungy should never win the Super Bowl. He is a terrible playoff coach, all the way back to his Tampa Bay days when he had the team so close but could never get it done and then Gruden pulls it off the first year after taking over.

4. The Colts shouldn't win because of what they did to Baltimore, sneaking out of town in the middle of the night to go to a smaller market. Unforgivable.

5. Adam Vinatieri should never win another Super Bowl. He should have retired a Patriot. He broke up the good karma. He was a legend in Boston, and as a kicker, that's quite an accomplishment. Now it'll always be a bit tarnished since he went to the Colts.

*Note: I do not give one reason why the Bears should win. I don't particularly like them. They have an OK defense and, um, maybe now people will shut up about the '85 Bears who couldn't even get into a 2nd Super Bowl for all of their greatness.

No comments: