Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Nothing kills a mood like a parking ticket

So, yesterday was my eldest daughter's 4th birthday. As part of our celebrations, we decided to stop by our friend's kids clothing boutique for it's big quarterly sale. My wife finds a fancy dress for only $10, which makes the birthday girl quite happy, we pay up and head back to the car to seek out an early dinner.

Lo and behold, a parking ticket from the City of Brookline has found its way under my wiper blade. When I had pulled into the spot, the meter was green, so I hadn't bothered to put any more money in. The planet continued to move along its axis and now I owed the parking coppers $25 - making the sale event evolve into a $35 dress (which far exceeds my "no kids clothing should cost more than $20" rule). I am livid, dinner out is vetoed and there is no kind of angry for me like my outrage at the parking ticket.

It just seems like $25 is an awful pricey penalty to pay for forgetting to put in a quarter - not to mention that it seems out of proportion to the fees other violations incur (such as only $15 for blocking a driveway or a fire station) - I mean, in the grand scheme of things, what is the larger offense? I think $5 is a reasonable fine. You screwed up, here's a penalty, the police get some money and you remember to put your quarter in next time. But $25 is a "purchase". You can get some really nice stuff for $25. It takes time to earn $25.

No comments: